Job profile of Goods Guard
Guard is the in charge of a running train. Goods Guard will be in charge of a goods train. His duties include :
- Get the vehicle guidance (VG – written document containing numbers of wagons, their tare weight, load tonnage of individual wagons, total tonnage)from Station Master/Yard Master.
- Check the entire formation for anything that can endanger safe running of trains.
- Check that doors of wagons are closed.
- Check the brake continuity with Loco Pilot.
- Sign the Brake Power certificate(BPC) after ensuring sufficient brake power
- Constantly monitor the formation on the run for any abnormalities.
- Prepare train reports like Combined Train Reports, Late Arrival Reports...
- Attend along with LP/ALP minor troubles experienced on the run like brake binding etc.
Click Here to Complete List of Railway Jobs
Job of a Goods Guard is somewhat strenuous in nature that he has stay in his brake van during the entire run where no basic facilities are given. Nowadays the situation has slightly improved with the running of 8 wheeler Brake van. Brake vans are not lit during night and the train may wait in way side stations long hours sometimes for crossing/precedence of Express trains.
The strenuous nature of the job is compensated by allowances of which the important one is Running Allowance. You are paid Running Allowance based on the monthly kilometres on the run.
Passenger Guard >> Express Guard.
Passenger Guard >> Section Controller >> Chief Controller.
(When promoted to a non-running post like Section Controller his pay is fixed taking into consideration pay element of Running Allowance, which is highly benefitial for the employee.)
Guards can also write LDCE exams for Group B Gazetted post of Assistant Opertions Manager(AOM).
Qualification : Degree from recognized university or equivalent.
Selection Process : Written Examination (in two stages –preliminary and final) followed by Document Verification.
Training: There will be 45 days training for Gooods Gurads in respective Zonal training institutes. Training module consists of General Rules, Goods ,Coaching theory and Railway Commercial rules.
Salary : Rs.2800 Grade Pay as per 6th CPC / Rs. 29200 initial pay as per 7th CPC + Other admissible allowances...